Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Day 15: Motivation Is In The Eye Of The Beholder

In the past, there has been one major issue with my attempts to get a workout routine started again--consistency. I'd go one day, then miss for one reason or another for the next six days, and then get in another day. If I actually got to the second workout I didn't get to the third (after making any of a number of excuses; some good, some not so good).

Part of the problem is the lack of an incentive.
via Giffy
Back in the day it was all about getting ready for the next season, be it football or rugby. When I stopped playing that reason was gone.

I didn't stop working out when I stopped playing, but it did become easier and easier to justify to myself not going to the gym. Six days a week quickly became five, then four, three, two, one, and eventually none at all.

For many folks, just getting in or being in better shape is all they need to get into the gym. To them--that's wonderful. Good for you. To each one of them that tried to 'encourage' me with comments like "Don't you want to be healthier?" or "Don't you want to look better?" or "Don't you want to feel better?"

Shut up. Some of you I truly believe mean well, but most of the time you all come off as condescending. 

The end game--better health--is the same or every person that steps foot in the gym, but what gets a person on the path is different for everyone. 

Right now, my weight is bad, and there are some health complications, but I've always been a big guy. When I played football and rugby I always needed to be in better shape, but with the exception of my last couple years playing rugby I as in good shape for a big guy.

As for looking better--in my single days I had no trouble finding dates so I must have looked good enough.  I was heavier when I met my wife and she still said yes.

As for feeling better--I feel fine. My knees--which I wrecked playing football, rugby, and lifting ridiculous amounts of weight in the gym--would like it if they had less weight to carry, but other wise I feel fine.

The point here is to say that the motivation has to come from within--whatever it happens to be. For me, it came when my wife said I was turned down for a life insurance policy. They don't directly say why, but with the kind of weight I'm carrying around--well, most people would be having all sorts of complications.

I'm just lucky that I don't--for now.

Freelance writing sucks as a career path so I really need to qualify for a good policy in order to make sure my wife and kids are taken care of when I'm gone. So I have to drop some pounds until someone doesn't think I'm too big of a risk.

After two weeks I've managed to get myself in to the gym six times. I need to do better, but I have at least gotten to the point where when I don't get in it bugs me.

So excuse me, while I go get a lift in.





Share on Fancred

7 comments:

  1. I'd say your on the right path.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say your on the right path.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck Travis. I am not telling you anything that you don't know, but losing weight is about 80% diet and 20% nutrition. That's my bro science comment of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want you to live a long, long time! We love you and need you to be here. We would be devasted if anything ever happened to you.

    ReplyDelete