Tuesday, March 8, 2016

This Sh*T Sucks! (and that's a good thing)

I used to be a gym rat back in the day. I loved working out. If I had to miss time in the gym I'd get cranky and bent out of shape--that is, unless it was football season. During the season I'd still lift a little, but not nearly as much or a hard. No matter what I did during the season, when the season was over and it as time to hit it hard again there was one thing I could count on.

It was going to hurt like hell the next morning.

via Giffy
When it did, no matter how hard it was to get out of bed or brush your teeth, you smiled. Not because you were a sadistic bastard, but because you knew you put in good work the previous day and became a slightly better player.

About a week ago I started getting back in the gym again. No season to train for now; my competitive sports days are long gone. Now I'm doing it to get healthy. I don't like the idea of my friends throwing their backs out when they carry my casket to the hearse or actually being in that casket anytime soon. 

So while living is a pretty good reason to workout, there isn't the immediate benefit of being a better player for the coming season. There isn't that immediate payoff anymore.

Without it, I can honestly say the pain and soreness from getting back in the gym again doesn't make me smile.

This shit sucks.

But I'm going to keep doing it, and it will eventually go away.



Share on Fancred

No comments:

Post a Comment